Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My Roller Coaster

For those of you who don't know...the little elderly lady I take care of hasn't been well. She was in the hospital for a week, and now she's at a nursing home.

I've received a blessing, and she's received a blessing...

One day, she's great...and looks like she's improving, and the next day, she can't hold up her own spoon.

Today was one of those such days. I came in to visit, and it looked like she was exhausted. Her roomie has a bit of dementia, and isn't very quiet. Rhoda, sleeps super light. She wakes up at the slightest noise. Mark, her son, brought her some ear plugs...but she couldn't find them last night, and didn't get any sleep. Today, she also slipped out of her chair. UGH. Also, when I got there, her hands were dirty, and her mouth/chin needed wiped off. I don't get it...what the heck are these people doing?

So, I started asking questions. The CNA that was going to be watching her tonight took my questions to the charge nurse. Who proceeded to come in and talk down to me, and inform me that they "aren't the enemy here." Just because they aren't the enemy doesn't mean they're doing all they could or should. Yes, I was upset. But, I was asking the right questions, and was getting the run around.

I'm not a child. I know Rhoda...I know what happens when she doesn't get sleep...etc. It enfuriates me to no end to be treated like I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not the nurses daughter, sure as hell ain't her employee...where the hell is the respect?

It's a roller coaster...I'm not sure I want to be on this one. It's a lot harder than I ever imagined. How is it, I'm trusted with this?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

oh girlfriend I am sorry. Danny could tell you some stories... Hang in there.

Tara said...

Sometimes it seems that life just isn't fair. Other times I wonder what ever happened to good old fashioned courtesy. I hope this will end happily and soon.